Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Yay for spring!


Today was a beautiful spring day, which I also had pretty much free.  After weeks of rain, I was finally able to get out in the garden again.  The ground has been too wet for them to rototill our plots, and it looks like there's going to be more rain this weekend.  I was sick of waiting around for them to be ready, so I called my mom a few days ago and asked her how I could get the soil ready for planting.  Today, I began turning the soil over, and got about two-fifths of the plot finished.  Tomorrow, James has most of the day off and has agreed to help me in the garden.  Hopefully we can get our hands on some compost to incorporate into the soil.  I was really anxious to get started, but today I noticed that many of the other plots are still overgrown with last year's old, dead plants.  I actually what was left of a pepper that had been sitting on the plant all winter.  It was just a see-through husk.  I wish I had taken a picture, because it was actually pretty cool.  Here are some pictures I did take:
After I had cleared all the really big stuff away

I have no idea what this is, but at least I know our plot can support life
The hose and tomato cages that came with the plot
This picture makes it look like I did way more work than I actually did
At the end of March there was seed fair with seeds donated by local garden stores.  Each plot was given 12 tickets, and each seed packet cost one ticket.  We were able to get way more seeds than we probably need.  We got lettuce, peas, kale, chard, tomatoes, peppers, green beans, cucumbers, winter squash, and beets.  It was really nice, and very helpful financially.  Now we just have to get the garden ready and start planting.

4 comments:

  1. Wow! That looks like your plot is HUGE! I'm so excited for you guys to get to have this space... what an awesome way to spend your spring/summer/fall!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice. What are the dimensions of your plot?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Incidentally, it's 7:52 pm CDT. Can you adjust the timezone of your blog?

    ReplyDelete
  4. The plot isn't really that big. It's probably about 10x20. Also, I think I fixed the timezone.

    ReplyDelete