Saturday, October 29, 2011

My Butt Injury

After my less-than stellar performance at my 5K in August, I ran another one last month.  It went much better.  I finished in 25:18, which works out to be about 8:09/mile and even won a medal.

Unfortunately, less than a week later, I injured my butt.  About four miles into a six-mile run I noticed my left hip starting to hurt.  Like an idiot, I kept going, and when I got home, it was evident that something was horribly wrong.  I couldn't walk without pain, and I still had to go to work.  Finally, I saw that our healthcare provider had a free sports medicine clinic, so I went.  I was diagnosed with sacroiliac joint dysfunction, which basically means that the joint between my sacrum at the bottom of my spine and my hip bones is extra flexible and prone to slipping out of place.  He recommended I see a physical therapist.  I had my first appointment and got some exercises to do.  They've really been helping, but I still can't run.  I was supposed to run my first 10Kthis morning, and I was really disappointed that I couldn't.  I still plan on doing a 10K when my injury heals, but I will definitely rethink my training.

No comments:

Post a Comment